When I was shopping in Tesco, I saw ready made jalfrezi sauces in bottles and that’s when I realised that I should post a recipe for those who want to make it from scratch and not use it from a bottle. It’s very simple to make and delicious !
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1.5 cups tomato puree (blend tomatoes with little bit of water
- 1/4 cashews, soaked in 1/2 cup milk for 30 mins and made to a paste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Paprika/chilli powder to taste
- 1.5 cups of mixed veggies (I used carrot, beans, peas, cauliflower and green bell pepper)
- 1 tbsp fresh cream, optional
- 1/4-1 cup of milk*
- Butter to cook
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Heat butter in a pan and cook ginger garlic paste. Add onions after raw smell goes away.
- Sauté for 10 minutes and add tomato purée. Add salt, paprika/chilli powder and garam masala and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat and pan with butter an sauté the chopped veggies.
- To the onion tomato mix, add ketchup, cashew paste and * milk or water to loosen the gravy to your desired consistency. I usually use milk so that the gravy is nice and creamy.
- Add sautéed vegetables to the gravy and cook for 10 minutes.
- Finish off with fresh cream and serve with rice or roti.