I love scones. Especially savoury scones. A friend on Insta posted an amazing and super simple recipe of cheese scones. Tara is someone who likes a hint of chilli and burst of flavour so I added some cayenne pepper and homemade pesto. Those are the only two things I can take credit for. Her recipe of cheese scones is too good.
She used 250 grams of self raising flour but I had just 200 grams at home. So I reduced all of the measurements to half.
- 125 grams self raising flour
- 40 ml milk
- 50 grams grated cheese
- 45 grams butter
- 2 tbsp homemade pesto (recipe in blog)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven at 190 degrees Celsius.
- Bring butter to room temperature. Mix it with with flour.
- Add cheese, pesto and cayenne pepper and give it all a good mix.
- Add milk slowly and make a stiff dough. Make sure you don’t use too much pressure because we don’t want thick and tough scones.
- Roll the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into shape of your choice using cookie butters.
- Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes. It’s done when a skewer inserted comes out clean.