Khichdi is a dish that has one basic concept and you can modify it as you like. I like my bowl of khichdi to be mushy.
This is the way I usually make khichdi.
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup mung dhal
- 3/4 chopped veggies (I used carrot, beans, potatoes and peas)
- A small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Butter or ghee to cook
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin
- Heat butter or ghee in a pan or pressure cooker and fry onions, ginger garlic paste, cumin and green chilli.
- Add the veggies, salt, turmeric and asafoetida and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and mung dhal and 2 cups of water. You can add more water if you want it very mushy.
- Once done, finish off with some ghee and serve hot.