How much I love this dish ! I had it for the first time at a cafe in a railway station and fell in love with it !
I tried to create my own version of that biryani. It bursts with flavour, is not too spicy and just right to get that common hashtag #toddler approved.
I use chickpea quite frequently at home for this dish or chickpea masala or falafels. So I usually soak chickpea during the weekend and pop them in freezer. It stays fresh for a month or two.
Tinned chickpeas are much more convenient! But I usually prefer to buy dried ones and soak at home.
I have a herb patch at home and there were lots of fenugreek leaves. I added that this time to the biryani. But it’s totally optional ! I didn’t want the home grown herbs to go waste, hence added 😀.
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 onions
- 2 tomatoes
- Spices: Cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf or readymade biryani masala or paste
- 1 tsp pound ginger and garlic
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Paprika to taste
- Salt to taste
- Butter or ghee or cooking oil as required
- Heat butter or ghee or cooking oil in a pan and add ginger, garlic, onions, tomatoes and dry spices.
- Mix garam masala, turmeric and paprika with Greek yoghurt and add it in the pan.
- Sauté for 3 minutes and add drained chickpeas. Give it all a good mix.
- Add basmati rice and water and cook until done.
- Top it with ghee or butter before serving.